One word: OBSESSED. That’s really all I have to say. It is imperative you make these Crabby Cakes! NOW! 🙂
Before I ate a totally vegan diet, one of my favorite meals was crab cakes! You will never miss the crab in this recipe – in fact, you can make these for anyone and they will never know it’s “vegan!” These are sensational!
Make sure to check out all my other Healthy Halloween Recipes.
- Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1/2 Cup Cashews soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 Cup filtered water
- 1/2 Clove Garlic
- 3 Teaspoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Teaspoons Sriracha Chili Sauce
- Sea Salt to taste optional
- 2 Cups & 1/4 Sweet Potato diced and cooked
- 1/4 Cup Jalapeno finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 15 oz . Can Hearts of Palm cut into fourths
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning or Dulse Flakes optional
- 2 Teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Plain Cashew Cream or Plain Almond Yogurt
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Plain Dry Breadcrumbs + about ¾ Cup for coating
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ume Plum Vinegar
- 3 Dashes Cayenne Pepper
- Note: You can also these with gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
Soak cashews overnight in filtered water.
Make the aoili. Add all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. If it is too thick, thin the sauce with filtered water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Taste for seasoning. If you think it needs salt or more heat, simply add sea salt and more Sriracha. Blend once more to give it one last mix. Set sauce aside.
In a skillet, add jalapeno pepper, bell pepper and diced sweet potato until crisp-tender for about 5 minutes. If it sticks to the pan, add a little vegetable stock or filtered water.
Pour 1 cup of mixture into food processor and pulse until it is a coarse puree.
In a large bowl, squeeze hearts of palm to break into shards. Add puree and remaining sautéed vegetables to bowl, along with old bay seasoning, parsley, cashew cream, Dijon mustard, ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs, ume plum vinegar and cayenne pepper and stir until thoroughly combined. Taste the mixture, adjust for seasoning, and mix.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Place breadcrumbs on a plate.
Create ¼ cup patties of the mixture and roll into breadcrumbs to coat. Transfer patties onto the lined baking sheet until they’re ready to be cooked. Makes 9 “crab” cakes.
To bake these, place the “crab” cakes on a baking sheet lined with a silpat mat or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. At the halfway point, flip the “crab” cakes.
Alternatively, you can fry these. Pour 1/8 inch oil in skillet and heat oil on medium heat to 350 degrees F
1Serve hot with aoli and a salad.