One of my favorite things to eat when I lived in the south was BBQ beans. I have been eating them as long as I can remember. My family and I ate them at cookouts, family reunions, birthday parties, pretty much any celebration in general. This recipe has 4 types of yummy beans legumes! Beans aid in weight loss, prevent constipation, stabilize blood sugar levels, and reduce risk of colon cancer.
One word for this recipe: Obsession.
Of course, I gave up the BBQ meat, but now with this recipe (and for the love of smoked paprika) I don’t have to give up that yummy smoky-barbeque flavor. The smoked paprika and the pineapple in these baked beans are definite winners! I ended up throwing in the pineapple on a whim and it was stellar!
I dare you to take this to a barbecue and not tell anyone its vegan! I bet everyone will ask you for the recipe.
Southern Style Pork-less BBQ Beans
- 2 Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Celery chopped
- 1 cloves Garlic Head (yes entire head of garlic!, mine was about 9 )
- 1, 6 ounce can Tomato Paste salt-free
- 1, 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes salt-free
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg’s Amino Acid
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 4 Medjool Dates pitted
- 1 Large Fuji Apple Chopped skin on
- 1 Cup Pineapple chopped
- 1, 15 ounce can Kidney Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can Pinto Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can Northern Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can Black Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- Black Pepper to taste
Water saute the Onions until slightly translucent about 5 minutes. Then add celery and garlic. Water saute this mixture for 5 minutes.
In the Vitamix, add in the tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, mustard, amino acid, vinegar, cumin, nutmeg, and the dates. Blend all until smooth.
Add the tomato mixture to the sauce pan.
Add the apple and pineapple to the pan and stir until heated throughout about 3-5 minutes.
Add all beans to the pan and heat until warmed.
Add entire mixture to a large baking covered dish. Cook on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.