One of my favorite things to eat when I lived in the south was BBQ beans. I have been eating them as long as I can remember. My family and I ate them at cookouts, family reunions, birthday parties, pretty much any celebration in general. This recipe has 4 types of yummy beans legumes! Beans aid in weight loss, prevent constipation, stabilize blood sugar levels, and reduce risk of colon cancer.
One word for this recipe: Obsession.
Of course, I gave up the BBQ meat, but now with this recipe (and for the love of smoked paprika) I don’t have to give up that yummy smoky-barbeque flavor. The smoked paprika and the pineapple in these baked beans are definite winners! I ended up throwing in the pineapple on a whim and it was stellar!
I dare you to take this to a barbecue and not tell anyone its vegan! I bet everyone will ask you for the recipe.
Southern Style Pork-less BBQ Beans
- 2 Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Cup Celery chopped
- 1 cloves Garlic Head (yes entire head of garlic!, mine was about 9 )
- 1, 6 ounce can Tomato Paste salt-free
- 1, 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes salt-free
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg’s Amino Acid
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 4 Medjool Dates pitted
- 1 Large Fuji Apple Chopped skin on
- 1 Cup Pineapple chopped
- 1, 15 ounce can Kidney Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can Pinto Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can Northern Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- 1, 15 ounce can Black Beans unsalted, drained & rinsed
- Black Pepper to taste
- Water saute the Onions until slightly translucent about 5 minutes. Then add celery and garlic. Water saute this mixture for 5 minutes.
- In the Vitamix, add in the tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes, paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, mustard, amino acid, vinegar, cumin, nutmeg, and the dates. Blend all until smooth.
- Add the tomato mixture to the sauce pan.
- Add the apple and pineapple to the pan and stir until heated throughout about 3-5 minutes.
- Add all beans to the pan and heat until warmed.
- Add entire mixture to a large baking covered dish. Cook on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.