Everyone loses motivation from time to time, which is why Googling the topic will reveal hundreds of articles, each offering various solutions for the well intentioned reader. The problem with these “listicles” (list based articles) is that they dump so many ideas on you, you don’t end up implementing any of them! You’ve experienced this before, right? You get excited, inspired, and encouraged reading the article, but you never actually follow through on putting the solutions into action.
Knowing what to do, and actually doing it, are two very different things! If we adopted every habit that’s been proven to yield successful results, everyone would have their dream bodies, bank accounts, and be out there living their best lives. But that’s just not the case, is it?
Which is why this this blog will deep dive into just one motivation hack: Positive Affirmations for Motivation. If you take this one step and stick to it- if you put just this ONE practice into action for a few weeks and trust the process, you’ll build positive momentum that will help get you out of your rut and back on track. Let’s get started.
Why We Lose Motivation
As we said at the beginning, everyone loses motivation from time to time- so if you’ve found yourself in a slump, don’t beat yourself up! Below are some of common motivational killers that can zap the energy and ambition from the best of us. Can you identify your root cause?
- Not doing enough. Newton’s first law states that an object at rest stays at rest, and an object in motion stays in motion. This applies to us too! Have you ever relaxed on the couch all day, only to feel tired at the end of the day from doing nothing? Or had a day filled with an exciting back-to-back itinerary, and realized at the end of the day that your energy levels adapted to this full schedule? That’s what Newton’s law looks like in our lives. Take a minute now to reflect on your past few weeks and months. If your calendar has been tooooo chill, it could be why you’ve lost that pep in your step.
- Overwhelm, and setting unrealistic goals. This is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the above causation. If you have too much on your plate, if it feels like too many tabs are open in your brain, it can cause you to shut down and just do nothing at all. Again, audit your schedule. Are you overcommitted? Spread thin?
- Boredom. Has you routine been the same for too long? Are you over the same old same old? If you have nothing on your schedule that you’re looking forward to, if you’re not proactively pursuing new, interesting, different experiences, the boredom you’re feeling day to day may translate to a general lack of motivation.
- Depression. This can be difficult to self-diagnose, but amongst the many symptoms of depression, lethargy is one of them. Consult a professional if you feel like this may be the case.
- Lacking purpose- in your work, and / or life. Having a strong sense of purpose is the magic to sustained, intrinsic motivation. Your reasons are the driving force behind everything you do. Only when you have a strong, emotional connection to your reason (also referred to as your “why” in the life coaching world), will you have the energy and motivation to accomplish the goals you’ve set out for yourself and your life. When you feel no motivation at all, it’s usually because the reason behind what you’re doing is not strong enough.
- People pleasing. When you are so preoccupied trying to keep everyone else around you happy, it can be easy to neglect your own wants and needs. It’s hard to stay motivated when you have no idea what you want, or when you chase things you are told to want, but you don’t genuinely care about deep inside of your soul (example: becoming a lawyer to appease your parents, when painting has always been your calling).
- Perfectionism, and fear of failure – When you think something has to be done perfectly or not done at all, well, sometimes it’s easier to opt for “not at all.” If you keep delaying or ditching projects you feel drawn to, you may find yourself losing the motivation to pursue anything.
Next Up: A Look Into Positive Affirmations
Positive affirmations are positive statements that you intentionally choose to think and repeat over time. You can read them, write them, say them aloud, or listen to them on audio.
The repetition of positive affirmations is an effective way to reprogram the subconscious mind, in order to help us create the reality we want. They can serve as inspiration, as well as simple reminders.
If your goal is to lose the lethargic rhythm you’re caught in, positive affirmations for motivation can help train your brain to become more motivated. Affirmations are most effective when they specifically address the area in which you wish to see change. Which is why we put together this curated list of positive affirmations for motivation at the bottom of this article!
Here’s how success mogul, Jack Canfield explains positive affirmations:
“To affirm something is simply to declare that it is true. Daily affirmations are simple, positive statements declaring specific goals in their completed states. Although they sound rather basic at that level, these empowering mantras have profound effects on the conscious and unconscious mind. Daily affirmations are to the mind what exercise is to the body. Repeating affirmations helps to reprogram the unconscious mind for success. It helps eliminate negative / limiting beliefs, and transforms your comfort zone from a limited one keeping you trapped in mediocrity, to a more expanded one where anything is possible. It helps to replace your I cant’s with I cans, and your fears and doubts with confidence and certainty.
Affirmations are reminders to your unconscious mind to stay focused on your goals and to come up with solutions to challenges and obstacles that might get in the way.
The daily use of positive affirmations interrupts and eventually replaces all negative thoughts and beliefs that hold you back. To achieve this, you must continually flood your subconscious with thoughts of the new reality you wish to create.”
Your words have the power to create your circumstances. If you want to feel more motivated, affirmations are one method you can put into effect to kickstart a positive, new way of operating. What you think about, you bring about!
25 Motivation Affirmations + Powerful Perspective Shifts!
TIP: repeat these every morning, first thing after waking up. This is when your subconscious mind is most impressionable and open to suggestions.
- I am starting to find all sorts of new things that excite me, inspire me, and light up my soul.
- Today is a fresh start. Today, I can be whoever I choose to be. Today, I choose to be motivated and energized!
- I lovingly let go of the excuses and beliefs that have been holding me back.
- I CAN do it.
- I have enough energy to take the first step. I am feeling so ready to GET STARTED and get moving!
- I am turning up the volume of positivity and motivation in my life.
- I free myself from any and all excuses.
- I am capable of anything and everything I set my mind to.
- I have everything I need within me.
- I lovingly release perfectionism- DONE is always better than perfect!
- I choose to be productive, focused, and determined- starting today, starting now.
- I am full of so much potential! My self esteem is rising every day, as I realize more and more how truly capable I am.
- Tonight, I will be proud of myself for how proactive and productive I was today.
- I am going to make my future self so proud.
- I am finding the action steps that will propel me forward, and I am completing them successfully.
- I am beginning to feel more and more motivated every day, as I begin to create positive momentum in my life.
- I am giving myself permission to get to know myself, and discover my true wants, needs, and callings.
- I am excited about the new chapter ahead of me!
- Life is FULL of possibilities and opportunities. Success IS available to me.
- I am proud of how far I have come, and I am excited about the person I am becoming.
- I love squeezing the juice out of life!
- I am ready and open to discovering new things that fuel and fire me up.
- I am ready and open to pursue my purpose and passions in life.
- I can and I will finish what I set out to accomplish. Success is on the horizon!
- I have one life to experience, accomplish, and do everything I will ever do. I will never get to relive this life, this phase, this year, or this day again. I will never be this age again, I will never be surrounded by the exact same array of opportunities, resources, and conditions as I am RIGHT NOW. I let these realizations alone inspire, energize, and motivate me now!
Be sure to follow our Affirmations on social media & podcast:
YouTube: Affirmation Babe