I was reading one of my favorite parenting books a couple months ago, and I came across a paragraph mentioning natural ways to relieve pain. The doctor who wrote the book highly recommended taking capsules of turmeric as opposed Tylenol or Advil! Turmeric is a natural pain killer. I think it’s so awesome how Mother Nature supplies us with everything we need to live healthy and happily.
I had known that turmeric was helpful with pain and inflammation, but I didn’t realize exactly how powerful and strong it really was!
The healing power of turmeric comes from its active ingredient, Curcumin. Curcumin, an antioxidant, lowers the levels of two enzymes in the body that cause inflammation, and also helps protect the body from free radical molecules that can damage cells and tissue. Remember, yesterday, when we talked about free radicals and why need antioxidants?! Here their importance shines again!
Turmeric can be taken orally to help treat minor aches and pains and also serious conditions such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
You can also drink turmeric tea or add turmeric to your juice recipes, if you don’t like the taste of turmeric make capsules! Making turmeric capsules is a really easy way to have a natural remedy on hand. You can keep some in your purse, next to your nightstand, or in your desk drawer.
Oh yes, and before I forget, you must check out my Anti-Flu Tea. I used turmeric and ginger in this recipe to create the ultimate cold-fighting beverage. It’s so powerful, and was also recommended by my doctor.
You need only 3 things to to make turmeric pain pills:
- High Quality Turmeric
- Black Pepper (for real)
- You can use any size capsule, but I think that the O or OO size is best. This way the capsule is not too small (where you need to take a billion of them), and not too big (where it’s too hard to swallow). If you’re vegetarian, I found these vegetarian capsules for you.
- Make sure to buy a high quality turmeric bc you want to get the most out of your supplement. I like the Terrasoul brand.
- Black Pepper is essential in your turmeric pills, because it aids in the absorption of turmeric in the body. Without black pepper, your body will not absorb what it needs from the turmeric!
- A teaspoon a day is enough turmeric to take daily. (always consult a doctor k?)
- Taking your capsules with food, just before, or just after meals. These are the best times as the absoption of curcumin can be enhanced when fats are present in the food.
- Turmeric powder is stable and can be used for months! But you should make caps which can be consumed in a months time and then again make fresh ones.
- FYI, turmeric can stain your nails, hands, clothes, or really anything it touches. Be cautious! You may want to wear gloves. Btw, turmeric is what gives curry its distinctive coloring and also what makes it highly stainable!
- If you want the benefits of natural pain pills, but you don’t want to make them, here is an Organic Turmeric Black Pepper Supplement that may suit you.
On a side note, I don’t have daily pain, but I am taking a couple capsules of turmeric daily now! I figured why not? Also, herbs and spices are so crucial to promoting a healthy body, so why not give myself a boost?! 🙂
Always consult your doctor before taking a new supplement. 🙂