This past weekend my friend invited me to a potluck, and I immediately I knew what I was going to bring – My raw vegan Zoodles with Marinara and Sausage!! I’ve had this recipe for Walnut Sausage in my arsenal (aka my brain) for a long time, and today is the day it finally goes live! yay!
It always amazes me how delicious and “true to flavor” plant based food can taste. When people say that pant based has no flavor, I always know that they either have not tried vegan food or they think that it’s all made of plain tofu. I have had vegans and non-vegans try my “sausage” and everybody thinks it tastes awesome!!
Walnuts naturally have a meaty taste and texture. I’ve combined the walnuts with herbs that are generally used in seasoning meats which creates that familiar taste of comfort foods (you know what I mean…maybe not comfort foods. I don’t consider meat a nostalgic comfort food anymore, but I do like pasta & sauce and I used to love sausage breakfast burritos…so that’s what I mean 🙂 )
If raw vegan isn’t your thing, let me assure you that this meal can still be YA THANG!! Here is how to make this dish warm and cozy: Just spiralize your zucchinis and heat for a few moments in a pot of hot water until slightly tender. Use a homemade or store-bought tomato sauce (I like muir glen organic mushroom sauce because its oil free and really tasty), warm the sauce in a pan, then sprinkle in the Walnut Sausage!! I eat it this way sometimes too! Just depends on my mood!
By the way, this walnut sausage is really delicious sprinkled over my Carrot Ginger Sauce!
I use a Paderno Vegetable Spiralizer for spiraling my veggies and I totally love it! Enjoy!!
Raw Marinara with Walnut Suasage
- Zucchinis spiralized, skin on
- Raw Vegan Walnut Sausage Ingredients
- 4 Cups Walnuts soaked overnight & drained
- 1 Teaspoons & 1/2 Dried Rubbed Sage
- 1 Teaspoons & 1/2 Fennel Seeds
- 2 Teaspoons Rosemary
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 4 Teaspoons Raw Coconut Aminos (Or use Braggs amino acid or soy sauce but it's not raw)
- Raw Marinara Ingredients
- 2, 8 ounce cartons Cherry Tomatoes that's about 4 cups
- 1 Cup Sundried Tomatoes drained, oil free and soaked for 15 minutes
- 2 Small Carrots
- 1/3 Cup Pine Nuts
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic
- Fresh Basil Thyme, or Dill to taste (optional)
- Soak Walnuts overnight. Strain and set aside.
- Blend or foood process the walnuts with spices on low. Blend until coarsely chopped and flavors combined.
- Place all marinara ingredients in high powered blender and puree on high until smooth.
- Spiralize 8 zucchinis and top with marinara and walnut sausage.
If you really like the of Italian-ized Raw Vegan food, then check out my post of my Raw Vegan Italian Feast created with my foodie friend (and contributor) Jenna!