I was sitting by myself thinking today and it hit me that at the last turn of decade (2010), I didn’t find it that monumental. Not that it wasn’t cool & exciting that a new year was upon us, but I didn’t do any reflecting on how I spend the 10 years prior.
This year I really thought about the past 10 years – what I did, where it got me, the things I felt and went through, the things I would like to experience and feel again, and the shit that I want to keep in the past.
I heard that there are “great days and growing days.” And for me in 2010-2019, holiday shit balls, there were so many growing days, but so so so many great ones too. Although if I had to choose, I’d say there were ones with a lot more growth. If I put a label on my last decade I’d label it the GROWTH decade.
- I got Married in LV at the Little White Wedding Chapel (didn’t tell anyone – it was just the two of us).
- I left my salon in Texas & took a leap of faith & love and moved to Las Vegas.
- I started cooking (for the first time ever, other than under cooking meat and failing miserably in the past) after I read a newly released nutrition book that changed my life.
- I fell in LOVE with cooking, and started a heath blog! (Here is the OLD WordPress blog!)
- I started a plant based diet, and met so many lifelong friends through instagram.
- Going plant based, opened up my subconscious mind to thinking differently.
- Went through a divorce.
- Oh, and I moved 8 times in the last decade, whew.
- Went on a free spirit vegan journey, and met who would become Lily’s father.
- Started my hair business again in Las Vegas with a focus on specializing in hair extensions.
- Surprise, I’m pregnant!
- Had the most magical pregnancy, which was so pleasantly surprising! I had never wanted or planned to have children, and I fell in love with it.
- Gave birth to my Lily Jade Diana.
- Went through a major breakup, gracefully.
- Launched my first online business program somehow in-between juggling new mama hood and growing pains, and we had over $100K in sales.
- I dove into personal development; my mentors are Bob Proctor, Louise Hay, & Brendon Burchard.
- Fell in love with my business partner, Alex.
- We moved into our dream home in Las Vegas.
- We launched our Young Living business & went on a Young Living cruise to Alaska. (my 1st cruise!)
- I started a breakthrough program in the hair industry that helped stylists with their mindset and income goals, and we supported 90 stylists in the 1st year!
- We went through fucking crazy ups and downs with nannies, some of them I can’t even handle talking about yet.
- Started a podcast with Alex, Adderall and Green Juice.
- Went to Hawaii with our Young Living mentors.
- Spoke at Women Who Slay, Biz Vlog Summit, and Summit of Slay.
- Participated in 2 speaker training bootcamps, and hired the best coach in the world. (Love u, Scott & Dallyce)
- Had the cutest birthday parties for Lily Jade. (She just turned 3!)
- We wrote a children’s book! (shhh no one know about it yet! It’s being illustrated and released in 2020)!
- Learned that mom-guilt & mom-shaming is some real shit.
- Motherhood taught me boundaries, that perfectionism isn’t cool or attainable, and that confidence and tapping into your higher power are the best things to believe in.
Most of all in 2019, I became AWARE.
Aware of everything around me, but most importantly, I grew awareness about myself, that ME and only ME is what holds me back.
Most people that see me think I do A LOT.
And they would be right, but it’s nothing compared to my potential.
Realizing that it’s ME and what I DO (or don’t do) that holds me back from my ultimate was my biggest learning lesson in the last year & decade.
I am so happy and grateful for the lessons and the growing days. I am excited and ready to implement all that I have learned and make the most of the next 10 years until I reach 43! (whew thats wild to say!)
Even through all the growing days, the great ones were really more than great, they were fucking epic.
Every day I fall more in love with my life, my Lily, and my Alex (I call him my Kingy). 🥰
We were so fortunate to have the best Christmas this year with my friends and family. My mom and brother were able to visit and LOTS of friends came to our house. (We were also very happy to not be traveling this year, and we loved decorating and spending time in our home).
Once I moved away from my hometown (over 10 years ago), I would find myself feeling sad at the holidays because it never lived up to my expectations, and if I was being honest, I didn’t even know what those expectations were. I think we often live in nostalgia, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but around the holidays it has a tendency to creep in and make you feel like things aren’t as good as what they used to be, & you may find yourself desperately trying to recreate a scenario or a feeling that is far passed.
One thing that I really thought about this year was that families, friends, and traditions change. The ONLY thing that is constant is change.
With every day and every holiday you have the opportunity to make the most of it because your joy and happiness is something that lies inside of you, and if you rely on outside forces to create your reality, then you are doomed to a lifetime of disappointment. What can make you feel happiness that comes from within yourself? For me, I experience joy at the holidays when I reflect on happy times with family, when I look at pictures, when I sing a holiday song to myself, when I cozy up in a blanket, & when I drink a hot, cozy beverage. All of those things are within my control, so I can be sure that happiness is always within me.
This year, our Christmas Day, was awesome. It was awesome because we lived in the moment and enjoyed the present. Many of us were not with our whole families this Christmas, so we created a special holiday just for us. We were blessed with amazing food & beautiful drinks, we played games, enjoyed music, talked about our health and life goals for the next decade, we laughed a lot and ate cake! We created some new traditions, one was matching PJ’s.
If you can learn to roll with the changes and be open to new things, you’ll live a happier life. Life doesn’t have to be perfect to be amazing & fulfilling. Have fun creating something new and say out loud what you’d like to have happen to make it a great day.
I wrote a new year affirmation for you below.
If you are new to affirmations, definitely check out this post. Affirmations changed my life over the past year. If you aren’t getting the results you want, or you truly want a fresh start, start working with affirmations and watch your life completely change.
✨Today I live with purpose and passion!
✨Bring on the rain. I’m ready to grow! Bring on the sunshine. I’m ready to blossom!
✨Today I am releasing myself from past. A bright new day is before me!
✨Today the only thing that matters is WHO I AM, not what happened to me.
✨Thought by thought, word by word, day by day, I am creating my ideal life.
We love you, and we wish you all of the abundance, health, & happiness that you desire! Hugs from Las Vegas! Don’t be shy in 2020 & send us a DM’s on instagram and check into our podcast to go real & deep!
You Are Divine & One Of A Kind!
Ash, Alex, Lily 💜